Yeahhh...The MIL babysitting has kinda been a touchy topic around here. The hubs and I have had many discussions over it and not quite agreed on anything. We even took the MIL out for breakfast a while back to let her know we had concerns and that she shouldn't expect to be left alone with the baby any time soon. The problem is the MIL has a
Somehow the hubs managed to talk me into letting the MIL watch Tegan for an hour or two while we went out. After all the restaurant was only a few blocks away. We could get home pretty quick if need be. And if I could get the timing to work out Tegan would be sleeping the whole time anyway. All the MIL would have to do is sit around and wait for us to get home.
It was a great plan, and it almost worked. The timing pretty much worked out perfectly and I was putting Tegan down in her crib shortly after the MIL showed up. I had just finished feeding her so the hubs and I had at least two hours before she would need to eat again. I laid out the time line for the MIL, and set up the required components for her next meal if I didn't get back in time, but assured her that shouldn't be an issue and she shouldn't have to worry about it. However before I could even get out the door Tegan was screaming. Something or someone had woken her up. At this point my resolve to get out of the house was melting a little bit, but the hubs is waiting for me. So I hurry up and grab my things and try to get out the door before all my will is gone, with a chorus of 'it will be okay' playing in my head.
We get out of the house, we get to the restaurant, we sit down at a table- about ten minutes have passed, and...the MIL calls. Tegan is still fussing, and making a good show of it so the MIL was calling to find out if she might still be hungry! Umm, NO. As we mentioned when we left she just ate (literally just ate, it hadn't even been a full hour since I had finished), and she should be good for another two hours! This did not exactly make me feel more comfortable about my decision to leave.
We manage to make it through dinner without another call. I think I made a good show of it even if in my head Tegan was crying the whole time. The hubs revealed later that I was really quite most of the time, but otherwise okay. By the time we finished dinner I was more than ready to get home.
We thankfully returned to a quiet house. I put Tegan back to bed (found out the MIL can't quite reach into the crib!), thanked the MIL and sent her home. Thus ends this saga.
I don't know how soon we will be calling on the MIL to babysit again, especially if she can't maneuver the crib. For a first trip out it went okay. I think it will be better when I'm more comfortable with who I'm leaving Tegan with. We'll find out soon enough. The hubs and I have been planning a date night for a while. In two weeks we will be going to a Twins game and leaving Tegan with my Mom. Hopefully that night will go better.
Oh no, I'm sorry that didn't go well. So far I've only left Azalea with my parents for about an hour. Hope your next outing goes better.
ReplyDelete