I had a bit of a reality check last weekend when it comes to working Moms. If I was going back to work I would have just completed my first week back. This alone blows my mind. Tegan and I are just starting to figure out a routine that works for both of us, and I can't conceptualize what it would be like to leave her home, or at daycare, and go to work. She's changing so much each day I would always feel like I was missing out on something whenever I was at work. Not to mention just that I would miss her like crazy.
I had a small glimpse of what it would be like to be a working Mom this weekend. I had a training session for a new job that started on Friday afternoon, and went to Sunday afternoon. All in all, it was exhausting. From trying to get out the door in the morning, to trying to function on little or no sleep, to trying to fit pumping into the day to keep supplies up- I would get home at the end of the day and have nothing left. I was excited to see Tegan, but had no energy to calm her when she got fussy. I wasn't happy, Tegan wasn't happy, and I think the Hubs was worn out too. It also became clear to me why a lot of nursing Moms don't continue to nurse once they go back to work! It is really hard to fit in pumping time (even if by law you are entitled to that time now).
This weekend was definitely an eye opener for me. I'm so thankful that I am able to stay home with Tegan, and so happy to find a job that will help out the budget but also still allow me to stay home with Tegan. This new job will on average only need me to work one day a month, and I will have the ability to accept or decline each project. I will admit when I first heard about this new job I thought it was too good to be true, but I'm glad it worked out.
So as I mentioned in my title- many, many props to working Moms, and I hope next weekend you get the Mothers day you deserve. I tip my hat to you! I am honestly in owe of what you are able to do.
I'm happy for you that you found that job. I'm already sorta freaking out about going back to work at the end of June, but at least I'll have my one day off each week. I'm trying to savor every moment now...they do change so fast!
ReplyDelete